In late 2017, the world was left shocked by the #MeToo movement that went viral online. The movement, which was supported by several high-profile women, saw thousands of women step forward and bravely share their stories of sexual harassment and assault.
In this new era of openness and exposure, it can sometimes be difficult for an everyday man to entertain a woman while he’s fearful of inadvertently overstepping boundaries. With this in mind, personal development consultant Kenny Mammarella-D’Cruz shares five ways to pick up women in a post #MeToo world:
- Be yourself – this may seem like an obvious thing to say, but the world of dating is a political minefield and it can be difficult to know what you can and cannot say. But, most importantly, be you. Not a fearful, politically correct and apologetic you, or a rebellious ball-of-adolescent ignorance kind of guy, but a person that’s true to you beyond any act. The authentic man in you will attract a good woman.
- Be clear about your intentions – make sure that it’s obvious what your intentions are from the get-go. Going into a date as a friend will leave you in the one place that men dread: The Friend Zone. Show yourself as a sexual, self-aware, vulnerable being and you will be on the path to success.
- Don’t play games – kiss-chase belongs on the playground and not in the adult dating world. If you are dating someone, they don’t want to be playing dress-up and guess who, so be truthful about how you feel, who you are, what you want, your fears, fantasies and everything in between.
- Ask questions – and just as important; listen. Remember that you’re engaging with another person, so show some genuine curiosity and interest in finding common ground. Too many men get so obsessed with putting on a good show, rehearsing their lines and flaunting their ego, rather than listening intimately, that there’s no space left for genuine connection, exploration and fun!
- Be genuine – in the post #MeToo world, being brave and being open has become more acceptable. More than anything, though, we are all individuals with our own stories. Be sure to share your story from your heart and show some compassion and emotion. Show up and share your heart. If you cross social boundaries, explore your perspective, adjust and reconnect.
Kenny runs MenFlirt workshops, which are not about flirting with anyone in particular – but about ‘be~ing the flirt’. Coming from that place inside of you that makes you irresistible, as your authentic vibe is naturally put out into the world to attract the life and love you want.